Respectful communication through media education network (RespectNET)
Project duration: 11/2021 – 07/2024
Project code number: KA220-HED-575D05B8
Funding guideline: KA220-HED – Cooperation partnerships in higher education
During the COVID crisis, social inequality and social incoherence have demonstrably increased. These became especially visible through negative communication, fake news, disinformation and cyber-bullying. These social trends can also be felt at universities on two levels: on the one hand, bitterness is growing with the increasing division. On the other, the style of discourse within universities is becoming harsher.
Target groups and their benefits
The RespectNET project addresses university teachers who are and should be role models for correct, respectful and encouraging communication. Such communication and media competence should be a universal component of the competence of university lecturers, as they have an influence on students and civil society. Therefore, the RespectNET project also addresses civil society organisations in youth work and social workers.
The RespectNET project aims to develop a contemporary code of respectful and effective communication to take into account different skills, communication styles and expectations of different subgroups. The RespectNET project promotes educational competences that are not limited to the acquisition of skills, but also to the development of a critical structure to understand social, economic and communicative contexts.
Role of SoWiBeFo
SoWiBeFo leads the internal quality assurance, coordinates the data collection and analysis of user feedback. SoWiBeFo also provides support in dissemination and in the development of learning and training materials.
Products and publications
- Develop a code for respectful dialogue in (social) media for all university members
- Development of a multimedia education and training programme based on a matrix of media and respectful communication skills and implementation of a transnational learning management system
- Building a transnational knowledge partnership of universities and civil society for a respectful, societal dialogue
- Italy: Universita Telematica Pegaso
- Romania: Universitatea Politehnica Timisoara
- Slovenia: Mednarodna fakulteta za družbene in poslovne študije
- Germany: Verein für sozialwissenschaftliche Beratung und Forschung e. V.